The Castello degli Acaia (Acaja Castle) is located in the Piazza Castello in the center of Turin. The castle starts at the Porta Praetoria and was built in the 13th century.
Acaja Castle Turin (Castello degli Acaia)
Address: P.za Castello, 27 – 10123 Torino. Phone: +39 011 4433501. Opening times: Tuesdays to Saturdays from 10:00 till 18:00; Sundays from 10:00 till 19:00. Entrance fee: 10 Euros (Discount: 8 Euros).
History and description
This Acaja Castle begins at the ancient Roman eastern gateway to the city, the Porta Praetoria. It consists of two towers. Each tower has a base of 16 sides. The wall is punctuated by four arches.
The fortress was built in 1276, by Guglielmo VII the Marquis of Monferrato.
In order to do this, the Porta Praetoria was closed off and the construction of a new entrance gate became necessary. This Porta Fibellona was constructed next to the castle.
Filippo, the first Prince of Savoia-Acaia had further changes carried out between 1317 and 1320. These modifications included a new complex on the other side of the wall, thus outside the original Roman city walls.
In the 15th century, under Ludovico, the last Prince of Acaia, a new reconstruction took place.
After the defensive function had become superfluous, the castle became the residence of the royal Madame. Under Maria Giovanna Battista di Savoia-Nemours, Filippo Juvarra designed the baroque facade and the monumental staircase inside the palace.
The monuments next to the castle are dedicated to Alfiere dell’Esercito Sardo, to Emanuele Filiberto Duca d’Aosta and to the Cavalieri d’Italia.