Accademia di Belle Arti Roma

The Academy of Fine Arts (Accademia di Belle Arti) in Rome is housed in a former residential building in the Via Ripetta. It was only after the Unification of Italy that it was turned into the present school. It is probably not hard to figure out why it acquired the nickname “the Horseshoe”.

Accademia di Belle Arti Roma

History

Accademia di Belle Arti Roma
Accademia di Belle Arti

The building that now serves as the Academy of Fine Arts was originally constructed in the 1840s. Although the Academy as an institution itself is much older than that, originating from the Accademia di San Luca, founded by the 16th century painters Girolamo Muziano and Federico Zuccari, it was only after 1870 that it moved into its present seat.

The original Academy soon became so famous that all over Europe similar schools were founded. Between the 17th and 18th centuries the Academy was even asked to carry out renovations in the Pantheon and in the Basilica of St. Paul outside the Walls. In this period the Academy also founded the ground-breaking Scuola Libera del Nudo (“Free School of the Nude”).

Whereas the Accademia di San Luca occupied itself with the arts of painting, architecture and sculpture, the present school naturally also includes modern arts, such as fashion, photography, computer graphics and much more. The building still contains some specially designed rooms for the “Free School of the Nude”.

Practical information

Contact

Phone: 39 06 3227025 or 3227036. Official site: https://abaroma.it/.

Opening hours and entrance fee

The building is not open to tourists.

Address and public transportation

Address: Via di Ripetta, 222 – Rome. Public transportation: Metro line A (stop Spagna); bus 119 (stop Ripetta), 628, C3, n201 (stop Passeggiata Ripetta).


View Larger Map