The Sant’Agata Chapel is close to the San Paolo a Ripa d’Arno Church in Pisa and was built by the monks of this church. Although octagonal, it is unlikely that the building was intended as a baptistery. Inside the chapel one can see some fragments of 12th century frescoes.
Sant’Agata Chapel Pisa
Address, opening hours and entrance fee
Address: Via San Paolo, 36 – Pisa. Telephone: (+39) 050 550100. The chapel can only be visited from the outside. (NB: Due to the Covid crisis, opening hours may differ from those indicated here).
History and description
The Sant’Agata Chapel was built around the year 1063 by the monks of the nearby San Paolo a Ripa d’Arno Church. Until the Second World War, the two houses of worship were connected by some medieval buildings. The chapel is now separate from the church.
One of the reasons why it is thought that the chapel did not serve as the Baptistery of San Paolo a Ripa d’Arno is because it is not in the usual symbolic place in front of the entrance to this church. (One theory, however, holds that it was once the baptistery of another, no longer existing, church).
It is an octagonal brick building with a pointed roof, which is mainly characterized by the use of semi-circular arches (the entrance, the triforas and the small arches underneath the eaves).
The interior is bare, but for some wall paintings of angel heads.