The All Saints Church (Chiesa di Ognissanti) is located in the Via del Babuino in Rome and is the church of the city’s Anglican community. It was the first Protestant church built after the fall of the Papacy in 1870.
All Saints Church Rome
Address, hours, tickets
The address of the All Saints’ Anglican Church is Via del Babuino 153 – 00187 Rome (tel. +39 0636001881). Rione: Campo Marzio. Opening hours: From 08:30 to 19:00. Admission is free.
History and description
The church was built in 1882, to a project by Englishman George Edmond Street, eventually to be completed by two Italian architects, Pio Barocci and Vincenzo Cannizzaro.
Street had a strong dislike for the culture of mass production that was a result of the English Industrial Revolution and favored craftsmanship and the use of simple but colorful materials.
Both the red brick of the facade and the pink stone from Arles used for the interior were specially imported.
The facade was built in a neo-Gothic style, as was the interior (with three naves, and Gothic crosses for the presbytery and choir).
Sir Edward Burne-Jones was responsible for the mosaics that can be seen in the church.
It was the first of the Protestant churches built in Rome after 1870 and the end of the papal state.