Sant’Andrea degli Scozzesi Church Rome
Address, opening hours and entrance fee
The address of the Chiesa di Sant’Andrea degli Scozzesi is Via delle Quattro Fontane, 163 – Rome (tel. +39 ). Metro: Barberini. Bus: 61, 62, 85, 492, 590, MA1, MA2, N1, N5, N12. Opening Hours: The church is open only during the celebration of Mass.
History and description
When the English and Scots seceded from the Roman Church in 1592, Pope Clement VIII had a church and monastery built to train young Scots to become priests.
In 1615 this church was entrusted to the Jesuits. In 1645 the Sant’Andrea degli Scozzesi Church was built in its stead.
After having been closed during the French occupation, the church was reopened in 1802.
In 1864, a major reconstruction took place, which gave the church more or less its present shape.
The facade is austere, with a tympanum decorated with two dolphins above the entrance.
The interior consists of a single nave.
What to see
- The fresco “Sant’Andrea in Gloria” dates back to the 16th century.