The Sant’Apollonia complex is a former monastery in Florence. Part of the monastery has been converted into a museum dedicated to the fresco “The Last Supper” by Andrea del Castagno.
Last Supper Museum Florence
Address, opening hours and admission
The Museo del Cenacolo di Sant’Apollonia is open daily from 08.50 to 13.50 hours. Admission is free. The entrance to the museum of this former monastery is Via XXVII Aprile 1, Florence (tel. +39 0552388607). The nearest bus stop is Santa Reparata (1, 6, 11, 14, 17, 20, 23, 52, 82).
The Sant’Apollonia Monastery
The complex was originally built in 1339, for the Benedictine nunnery. In the middle of the 15th century the Santa Maria a Mantignano Abbey and the San Pietro a Porta Pinti Hospital were added.
Today the church has been desecrated and the former monastery belongs to the University of Florence, to the Tuscany region and to the army.
Frescoes in the Last Supper Museum Florence
The main reason to visit this otherwise rather unknown sight is the fresco Il Cenacolo by Andrea del Castagno (1447). The face of Judas is depicted here as that of a satyr. He wears very dark, almost black clothing that contrasts strongly with the extraordinarily white tablecloth. The background is a splendid example of the trompe l’oeil painting technique. The immense painting takes up almost an entire wall.
Above this painting there is another fresco, which however is less well preserved. From left to right you can see the “Resurrection”, the “Crucifixion” and the “Deposition”. The different scenes are separated by two windows.
The paintings were discovered in 1864, at the time the monastery was used for military purposes. It has been a museum since 1891.