One of the most impressive monuments in the city of Perugia is a 13th century aqueduct, the upper part of which has been transformed into a footpath with a view over parts of the city. This medieval monument was originally built to supply water to the Fontana Maggiore in Piazza IV Novembre.
History and description
The aqueduct is 5 kiometers long and was built in the 13th century with the intention to conduce water from the Monte Pacciano to the Fontana Maggiore.
The construction of the aqueduct progressed very slowly. Led by Fra Bevignate and Boninsegna da Venezia, it took 25 years (from 1255 to 1280) for the structure to be completed.
Since there were frequent maintenance problems with this aqueduct, it was decided to build a new version in 1835.
The most central part of the old aqueduct is now being used as a walkway through the medieval city.