The National Archaeological Museum of Orvieto is housed in the Palazzo Papale. Originally, only part of the collection of the Museo dell’Opera del Duomo was displayed here. The collection is arranged according to its place of origin. The most important sites were the Etruscan necropolises Crocefisso del Tufo, Cannicella and Settecamini.
Archaeological Museum Orvieto
Address, opening times and admission
Address: Palazzo Papale – Piazza del Duomo – Orvieto. Phone: +39 0763 341039. Opening hours: From 08:30 to 19:30. Entrance fee: 4 Euro (18-25 years old: 2 Euro; under 18: free). A combination ticket with the Crocifisso del Tufo Necropolis costs 5 Euro.
History and description
The National Archaeological Museum is housed in the part of the Palazzo Papale, which used to be the Palazzo of Pope Urban IV. The entrance is on the left side of the building.
The highlight of this museum is formed by wall paintings originating from the Golini Tombs. The paintings date back to the 4th century BC and depict (among other things, it is believed) a banquet for the deceased in the afterlife. The tombs are named after the man who discovered them in 1863.
Most of the artifacts on display were found near Orvieto itself. These include, apart from the above-mentioned Etruscan tombs, the Belvedere Temple and the San Leonardo Temple.
The Porano Necropolis, where the Golini Tombs were found, and the Castellonchio Necropolis are located further from the city.