The Armeria Reale (Royal Armoury) is part of the Royal Museums of Turin. This part of the museum is hosted in a gallery connecting the Palazzo del Vescovo to the Palazzo Madama. The collection of arms and armour in the world and was founded by the Savoy family.
Armeria Reale Turin
Address: Piazza Reale, 1 – 10122 Torino. Phone: +39 19560449. Opening times: From 09.00 till 19.00. Closed: Mondays. Ticket price: 15 Euros (age 18-25: 2 Euros; younger than 18: Free).
History and description
The gallery that forms the background of the Royal Armoury collection was designed in 1732 by the architect Filippo Juvarra. His point of departure was the already existing Grande Galleria of Carlo Emanuele.
The vault frescoes were painted between 1738 and 1743 by Claudio Francesco Beaumont.
In 1837 started using the space for the family’s arms collection and thus started the Armeria Reale. At that time the collection was not yet open to the public.
Nowadays the Armeria is part of the Musei Reali complex.