Ascensione di Nostro Signore Gesù Cristo Church Rome
The address of the Chiesa dell’Ascensione di Nostro Signore Gesù Cristo is Via Manfredonia 5 – 00171 Rome (tel. +39 062570522). Bus: 113, 313, 314, 501, 508, 556, 556F, N12. Opening hours: From 07:45 to 12:00 and from 16:30 to 19:45. Entrance fee: Free of charge. (Note that prices and times may be subject to change.)
History and description
The Ascensione di Nostro Signore Gesù Church (“Ascension of Our Lord Jesus Christ Church”) was built in 1954, to a project by architect Francesco Fornari. The church is run by an Order known as the Priestly Congregation of the Sacred Heart of Jesus.
The facade of the church consists of two levels. The three entrance doors are separated by pillars. The upper part is marked by a large semi-circular window.
The interior of the church has three naves separated by red-marble columns alternating with green pillars. The two outer naves end in apses.
What to see
The stained-glass window in the apse depicts the Ascension of Jesus with the apostles and Mary. Below this window is a large marble seat.
The apse of the right nave is graced by the Altar of the Blessed Sacrament. The painting “Ascension of Jesus among the Apostles” was the work of Marisa Sarcano.
The apse of the left nave houses a baptismal font with above it a bas-relief representing the “Baptism of Jesus.” The dove depicted in the stained glass window symbolizes the Holy Spirit.
The 12 windows of the upper part of the central nave depict various saints.
The two stained glass windows on the back wall of the church depict the “Virgin and Child” (left) and a “Father Dehon in prayer”, the founder of the Order running the church.