The Badia di Flora e Lucilla is located in the Piazza della Badia in Arezzo. The highlight of this church is the dome painted by Andrea Pozzo. Originally dating from the 13th century, the church was completely rebuilt by Vasari three centuries later.
Badia di Flora e Lucilla Arezzo
Address, opening times and admission
The address of the Badia di Flora e Lucilla is Piazza della Badia 3 – Arezzo (tel. +39 0575356612). Bus: AT2, BAAS, FAMLA, LAP109, LF1D, LF1S, LF4, LF5, LF6, LF7, LF8, LF9, LF11, LF13, LF15. Opening hours: 08.00 to 12.00 and 16.00 to 19.00. Sundays and holidays: 10.25 to 12.30. Free of charge.
History and description
The Badia di Arezzo is dedicated to Saints Flora and Lucilla, two women who had died a martyr’s death in Rome in the time of Emperor Gallienus and were later brought to Arezzo by Pope Benedict III.
It was built by Benedictine monks in the 13th century. The church itself was completely reconstructed, in Renaissance style, by Vasari in the 16th century.
From the 17th to the 19th century, the Grand Dukes of Arezzo had their residences in this square.
In the early 20th century a new restoration, in a Romanesque-Gothic style, took place.
What to see
The parts of the facade dating back to the time of Vasari are the bifora, part of the portal and the side on Via Cavour.
It can be deduced from the multiple use of serlianas that Vasari’s design for the church was inspired by Venetian architecture.
The octagonal bell tower dates from 1650.
The main (false) dome was painted by Andrea Pozzo (1702). In typical fashion, the master of the trompe l’oeil technique plays with perspective here.
The wooden main altar was designed by Vasari and was actually intended for the Pieve di Santa Maria.
The marble ciborium at this main altar was made by Benedetto da Maiano. Commissioned by the aristocrat and abbot Girolamo Aliotti he also designed the cloister of the adjoining convent.
De laatste ontwierp, in opdracht van de adelijke abt Girolamo Aliotti ook de kloostergang van het belendende klooster.
To the left of the entrance is a fresco by Bartolomeo della Gatta (“San Lorenzo,” 1476).
The large painted crucifix on the right is by Segna di Bonaventura (1319).