The ancient Badia di San Bartolomeo Church in Anghiari is characterized by an extraordinary asymmetrical interior. It was founded in 1104 by the Camaldolesi.
Badia San Bartolomeo Church Anghiari
Address: Via Nenci, 15 – 52031 Anghiari. Telephone: +39 0575 787023. Opening hours: Not known. Entrance fee: Free.
History and description
The first document in which the Badia is mentioned dates back to 1105.
When this church was built it was probably partially carved into the rock. It was the first place of Christian worship within the city walls. The building was annexed as oratory to the San Bartolomeo Monastery.
In the 14th century the church was renovated by order of the Tarlati family.
The unusually asymmetrical floor plan is probably explained by the many renovations.
The central bell tower is square in shape, with stained glass windows on each side.
The wooden “Madonna and Child” was made by Tino di Camaino around 1317.
The crucifix, also in wood, dates from the end of the 13th century.
The altar table was sculpted in the mid-15th century by Desiderio da Settignano.
The sculpted stone ciborium in the choir also dates from the 15th century.