The Basilica Mauriziana is connected to the brotherhood of the Holy Cross in Turin. In 1728 Vittorio Amedeo II united it with the hospital belonging to the Order of Knighthood of the Saints Maurice and Lazarus.
Basilica Mauriziana Turin
Address: Via della Basilica, 1 – 10122 Torino. Phone: +39 011 4361026. Opening times: From 08.30 till 12.00. Entrance fee: Free.
History and description
The Basilica of the Saints Maurice and Lazarus was constructed between 1679 and 1699 after a design by Antonio Bettino.
The church square was designed in 1729 by Filippo Juvarra. The renovation was part of a general plan to make the Contrada di Porta Palazzo straighter. This street is now called Via Milano.
The church facade was completed between 1828 and 1834 by Carlo Bernardo Mosca.
The interior has a Greek cross floor plan. Its decorations date back to the 19th century.
Giovanni Battista Feroggio built the sacristy in 1775. This space hosts the so-called “Resurrection” a papier-mâché processional “carriage” designed by Francesco Ladatte and made by Domenico Plura.
In the sacristy you can also view the banner of the archconfraternity and a late 17th century painting by Giovanni Antonio Recchi representing “San Maurizio”.