The Basilica of San Magno in Legnano was constructed on top of an already existing church. It is generally assumed that Bramante directly influenced the anonymous architect of the structure.
Basilica of San Magno Legnano
Address: Piazza San Magno , 10 – 20025 Legnano. Telephone: +39 0331 547856. Opening hours: From 09:30 till 12:00 and from 16:30 till 18:30. Entrance fee: Free of charge. Disabled: People in wheelchairs can enter at the second entrance (at the bell tower ).(Note that prices and times may be subject to change.)
History and description
The San Magno Basilica was built with the money of two families (Lampugnani and Vismara) from Legnano. Its design was inspired by Bramante. It was constructed on top of the Romanesque church of San Salvatore.
The construction started in 1504 and was completed in 1519.
The present campanile of the church subsituted the old one only in 1572, however.
Seen from the outside, the church has the floor plan of a Greek cross. The interior, however, is characterized by an atrium and an octagonal central hall with deep side chapels.
What to see
The frescoes on the also octagonal vault were painted by Gian Giacomo Lampugnani in 1515. Elegant candelabras can be seen near the deep blue corner pillars.
Another highlight is the poliptych painted in 1523 by Bernardino Luini, with a “Madonna and Child” in the central section. Four saints are depicted on either side, while the predella (the lower part) is decorated with events from the life of Christ.
Bernardino Lanino painted the main chapel.