The Ca’ (or Palazzo) Corner della Regina is an 18th century building on the southern bank of the Grand Canal in Venice. However, it is named after a former queen of Cyprus, born in the 15th century. Part of the palace is used as exhibition space by the Fondazione Prada.
Ca’ Corner della Regina Venice
Address: Calle de Ca’ Corner – 30135 Santa Croce, Venezia. Telephone: +39 02 56662611.
History and description
Although the Palazzo Corner della Regina was only built in the 18th century, it is named after the former queen of Cyprus who died in 1510. This Caterina Cornaro was born in another palace also property of her family.
The current baroque palace dates back to 1724 and was designed by Domenico Rossi. It gives, certainly for Venetian notions, a somewhat clumsy impression, probably because the top floor is higher and more massive than the middle one.
It is the seat of the archives of the Biennale and of a library dedicated to contemporary art. A second part of the building is occupied by the Fondazione Prada, which organizes several exhibitions there.
Since the Corner family played an important role in the city, there used several Palazzi Corner. The palace received the addition of della Regina (“from the Queen”) to distinguish it from these other buildings.