Calci is a small town in the Valgraziosa valley east of Pisa in a region charactezised by its olive plantations. It has only been an independent municipality since 1867. The town has just over six thousand inhabitants.
Calci travel guide
Tourist information: Ufficio di Informazione Turistica, Via Roma, 79 – Calci. Phone: +39 050 2212970. Hours: From 09:00 till 16:45 (Saturdays and Sundays from 10:00 till 18:45).
Town hall: Piazza Garibaldi, 1 – 56011 Calci (PI). Phone: +39 050 939511.
Railway station: There is no train station. Bus line 100 connects the city to Pisa.
Nearest airport: Pisa.
The Church of the Saints Giovanni e Ermolao is the parish church of Calci. This 11th-century church, with a multi-coloured marble façade can be seen from afar because of its bell tower.
The Carthusian monastery Certosa di Pisa is located just outside Calci. It was built in 1366, but the current version is the result of renovations in the 17th and 18th centuries. The monastery houses the Museum of Natural and Territorial History of the University of Pisa.
A brief history of Calci
The earliest documents referring to the city date back to 780 and are related to the foundation of the San Savino Abbey.
There used to be a castle, first mentioned in a document in 1222, but constructed earlier. This castle was sacked repeatedly between the 13th and 15th centuries.
In 1506, Calci ended up under Florentine rule.
In 1867, Calci detached itself from Pisa. In 1884, when the suburb of Montemagno was added to its munciipality, Calci Officially became autonomous.
Formerly completely dependent on agriculture, Calci now also has some industries.
How to get to Calci by car
From Pisa, Calci can be reached by car via provincial road SP2.