Campo Santo Teutonico Rome

Within the walls of the Vatican City there is a relatively unknown, but for Germans, Dutchmen and (Flemish) Belgians interesting burial ground. It is called the Campo Santo dei Teutonici e dei Fiamminghi or the Holy Field of the Teutonic and Flemish peoples.

Campo Santo Teutonico Rome

Address, opening hours and admission

Address: Via della Sagrestia, 17 – Rome (tel. +39 06 69883923). Opening hours: Monday to Saturday from 09.00 till 12.00. Admission: Free.

History and description

Campo Santo Teutonico Rome
Campo Santo Teutonico

The cemetery used to belong to the Holy Roman Empire, a political conglomerate of central and western European countries that was abolished in 1806.

Since the 15th century to only people to have been buried in the Campo Santo are members of the Fraternità di Santa Maria della Pietà in het Campo. One Godfried de Waya (from Liege) founded this group, which was only accessible for citizens of the Holy Roman Empire, in the 15th century. The majority of this group consists of Austrians and Germans, but their are also some Dutchmen and Belgians.

The cemetery can only be visited by members of the Holy Roman Empire. For Germans it is enough to request permission in their mother tongue, but Dutch and Flemish tourists have to show their passports to the members of the Swiss Guards at the gate.

The entrance is to the left of the colonnades of Saint Peter’s Square. Visits are only allowed in the mornings.

Via della Sagrestia, 17 – Rome

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published.