The Museum-Atelier Canova-Tadolini is a cross between a museum/workshop and a café on the street connecting the Spanish Steps and Piazza del Popolo in Rome. Part of the café is also used as a restaurant.
Canova Tadolini Atelier Rome
The address of the atelier is Via del Babuino, 150 (tel. +39 06 32110702). Metro: Spagna, Flaminio (line A). The café is open every day from 8 a.m. to midnight. The restaurant is open from noon to 11 p.m. every day. (Note that prices and times may be subject to change.)
History and description
The cafe is the former studio of neo-classical sculptor Antonio Canova and his favorite pupil Adamo Tadolini. Canova had bought the workshop in 1818, mainly to give Tadolini the opportunity to further develop his art.
One of Tadolini‘s tasks was that of making copies of the most famous works of the master himself.
From 1818 to 1967, the studio was owned by four successive generations of Tadolini, all sculptors.
The place is decorated with plaster models of not only Canova‘s most famous works, but also designs of body parts.
Since the workshop doubles as a cafe, there are tables between the various pieces.