The Cappella dei Re Magi is a church inside the Palazzo di Propaganda Fide in the historical center of Rome. The Re Magi are the Biblical “Three Kings” or “Three wise men” who brought gifts to the newborn Jesus.
Cappella dei Re Magi Rome
Address: Via di Propaganda, 1 – Roma. Phone: +39 06 69880266. At the moment (August 2022) the building is being restored and cannot be visited.
History and Description
Although Borromini was apponted architect of the Collegio di Propaganda Fide as early as 1646, ,construction of the church behind the west façade of the palace, only started in 1662.
Two years later the church was completed except for the decorations, which were added in the following two years.
Initially Borromini wanted to keep the design of the oval church designed by Bernini in 1634, but when it was decided to enlarge the church he preferred to stick to a simpler construction.
What is most striking is that there are hardly any walls in the church, as the whole is supported by several rows of pillars.
Cappella dei Re Magi, what to see
Chapel 1 right: Carlo Pellegrini’s “The Conversion of Saint Paul” (1635).
Altar: “Adoration of the Magi” by Giacinto Gimignani (1634).
Altar: “Mission of the Apostles” by Lazzaro Baldi.