Casina Vagnuzzi & Accademia Filarmonica Romana

The Accademia Filarmonica Romana, which was founded in 1821 by a group of upper class amateur musicians, is one of the oldest musical institutions of Rome. Its present seat is the 16th century Casina Vagnuzzi.

Accademia Filarmonica Romana

History

Casina Vagnuzzi Rome
Casina Vagnuzzi

The group of musicians that started the institution was led by a member of the local aristocracy called Marquis Raffaele Muti Papazzurri. The aim was to perform not only symphonic and chamber music, but also operas that had been censored and could not be heard elsewhere.

The Papal States made it into an official institution in 1824, but disbanded it in 1860 because of the liberal ideas of several of its members.

In 1870, after the Unification of Italy, the Accademia resumed its activities.

At the moment, the venues where the Academy performs are the Teatro Olimpico, the Teatro Argentina and the Sala Casella.

Casina Vagnuzzi

The Sala Casella is located in the garden of the headquarters of the Academy, the Casina Vagnuzzi. This building used to be part of a complex of properties off the Via Flaminia belonging to Pope Julius III.

Although the core of the Casina Vagnuzzi was constructed in the 16th century, its present appearance is the result of reconstructions by, first, Giuseppe Valadier and, later, Luigi Canina.

What to see

The building contains the library and offices of the Accademia Filarmonica Romana. Some of its rooms are frescoed. The gardens contain some rare plant species.

Practical information

Opening hours and entrance fee

Hours: From 10:00 till 14:00 and from 15:00 till 18:00. Closed on Saturdays and Sundays.

Contact

Phone: 39 06 3201752.

Address and public transportation

Address: Via Flaminia, 118 – 00196 Rome. Public transport: Bus: 982, C3, n3d, n201.