Castel del Piano is a small hill town in the eastern part of the province of Grosseto. The town is situated on the slopes of the Monte Amiata and has around 12,000 inhabitants.
Castel del Piano travel guide
Tourist office: There is no tourist information center.
Town hall: Via G. Marconi, 9 – 58033 Castel del Piano. Phone: +39 0564 965451.
Train station: The city does not have a railway station.
What to see
The main historical buildings in the town date back to the Middle Ages. These include the Torre dell’Orologio, the Pieve di San Leonardo Church and the Piccina del Santissimo Sacramento Church. Also worth seeing are the fortifications of Montenero and the old town of Montegiovi. There are also many beautiful churches in the smaller villages belonging to the municipality.
Events and festivals
On 8 September, the feast day of the town’s patron saint, the traditional Palio delle Contrade is held.
History and description
The area where today’s Castel del Piano is located was already inhabited in the Stone Age. The town itself has existed since the 9th century. It was then called Casale Plana and was property of the Amiata Abbey. The next owners were the Aldobrandeschi. From then on, the city follows the history of all small towns in the area.
As early as the Stone Age, there was a settlement on the spot where Castel del Piano is located.
The first time Casale Plana, as it was called in the Middle Ages, is mentioned in a document is in 890. At that time, it belonged to the Abbazia dell Amiata.
From the 11th century, it was part of the county of Aldobrandeschi.
In 1331, it was bought by the Republic of Siena.
Like the rest of the region, the town was conquered by the Grand Duchy of Medici in the 16th century. After that, the House of Lorraine took over and from 1860 it came under the new Italian Royal House of Savoy.
How to get to Castel del Piano by car
From Grosseto, follow the SP64.