Castello Piccolomini Celano

The Castello Piccolomini is a castle in the town of Celano in Abruzzo. Currently, it houses a museum.

Castello Piccolomini Celano

Useful information

The address of the museum is Castello Piccolomini – L.go Cavalieri di V. Veneto – 67050 Celano (tel. +39 0863792922). Opening hours of the castle: 09.00 to 19.00. Exhibitions: 10 a.m. to 6:30 p.m. Closed: Monday. (Note that prices and times may be subject to change.)

History and description

Castello Piccolomini Celano
Castello Piccolomini

Construction of the castle of Celano began in 1392. It was commissioned by the Count of Celano, Pietro Berardi. In 1463 the construction was completed by Antonio Todeschini Piccolomini, grandson of the then Pope Pius II.

After the Piccolimini family left the castle it was occupied by several noble families.

In 1938 it was expropriated by the Italian State and declared a National Monument.

Two years later, the restoration work needed as a result of the 1915 earthquake began, but was interrupted by the outbreak of war. The work was finally completed in 1960.

The Castle’s architecture shows both medieval and Reniassance influences. Originally a defensive structure, it was soon converted into a private palace. Especially on the south-eastern side, one can still clearly see (16 towers and a drawbridge) that it originally had a defensive function.

What to see

The castle is square and has a massive square tower at each corner. Today it is the seat of the Museo d’Arte Sacra della Marsica and of the Collezione Torlonia di Antichit√† del Fucino.

Title


View Larger Map

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *