The Cathedral of Livorno is located in the Piazza Grande and was built towards the end of the 16th century. After the church was bombed in the second world war, it had to be almost completely reconstructed.
The address of the Cathedral of Saint Francis is Piazza Grande – 57123 Livorno.The opening hours of the Duomo are not known.
History and description
The Cathedral of Livorno is dedicated to Saint Francis of Assisi. It was designed by the architects Pieroni and Cantagallina and its construction lasted from 1594 to 1606. The bell tower was added a year later and the side chapels, baptistery and transept are 18th century additions. In 1817 the bell tower was replaced by a new version designed by Gaspero Pampaloni. The reconstruction, as faithful as possible to the original church, after World War II was completed in 1952. The floor plan is a Latin cross.
Works of art Cathedral Livorno
The “Holy Family with Saint John and Saint Paul” was made by students of Andrea del Sarto.
“Saint Francis Receiving the Child from Mary” was painted by Jacopo Chimenti.
“The Triumph of Saint Julia” was painted by Jacopo Ligozzi.
Domenico Cresti was responsible for the “Assumption of Mary.”
The “Christ with Crown of Thorns” is by Beato Angelico and has only been on display in the cathedral for a few years.
The high altar is decorated with marble. The crucifix above it dates from the 18th century.
The monumental gate, with images of events in Livorno’s history and of the cathedral itself, was made by Antonio Vinciguerra.
One of the architects who participated in its construction was the Englishman Inigo Jones, who was probably responsible for the portico of the Duomo.