The San Giorgio Cathedral of Ragusa is located is located at the top of a long and wide staircase along the Via Duomo. The impressively decorated facade is topped by a neoclassical dome. The interior, on the other hand, is rather plain.
Cathedral of San Giorgio Ragusa
Address: Piazza del Duomo – Ragusa. Phone: +39 0932 220085. Opening times: From 09:00 till 12:00 and from 16:00 till 19:00. Ticket price: Free. (Note that prices and times may be subject to change.)
History and description
The Cattedrale di San Giorgio was constructed in 1744. The architect was Rosario Gagliardi, who had also been responsible for other Baroque churches in Noto and in Modica.
Before the notorious 1693 earthquake, the Cathedral was located in another part of the city, near the present Giardino Ibleo. Of this original church, the 15th century portal has survived.
After the quake, it was decided to place the new church in a site closer to the new city center.
The main feature of the facade is the tower-like structure ending in a bulbous spire.
The portal is decorated with friezes and reliefs. The six panels of the wooden doors depict episodes from the life of St. George.
The dome, designed by Stefano Ittar, was added in 1820, the wrought-iron gate in 1880.
What to see
A plaque next to the church indicates that the foundation stone was laid in 1739. A plaque on the opposite side of the stairs claims that the work started in 1744.
The 33 stained glass windows are mostly decorated with episodes from the life of San Giorgio, who was martyred by the Emperor Domitian.
Museo del Duomo
The Museo del Duomo was inaugurated in 2009. it collection is spread out over 16 rooms and two floors.