Cathedral of San Leucio Atessa
Address: Via Trento e Trieste, 1 – 66041 Atessa. Phone: +39 0872 865656. Ticket price: Free.
History and description
The first version of the San Leucio Cathedral was built in 874.
A restoration took place in 1312, adding, among other things, the rose window, with the lamb above it and the symbols of the four Evangelists located next to this window.
In 1750, the interior was expanded from three to five naves.
In 1935, the original medieval facade was restored.This brick facade is characterized by the five small niches between the rose window and the main entrance.
What to see
The wooden choir and pulpit were made by the woodcarver Mascio in 1767.
The rose window was made by the Petrini school who came from Lanciano.