The Cathedral of Todi is dedicated to Santa Maria Annunziata and is located in Piazza del Popolo. The main attractions in the church are the Cappella Cesi and the fresco “Last Judgment” by Ferraù di Faenza.
Santa Maria Annunziata Cathedral Todi
The address of the Santa Maria Annunziata Cathedral is Piazza del Popolo – Todi (tel. +39 0758943041). Opening hours: 08.30 to 12.30 and 14.00 to 17.30. Entrance fee: Free.
History and Description
The Duomo dates from the 11th century and in all probability was built on what was left of a pagan temple.
The facade dates from the 14th century. It is characterized by a large central entrance gate flanked by two smaller doors. Above the main entrance there is a huge rose window.
Before reaching the façade one must first climb a monumental staircase (from 1740).
The interior has a Latin cross as the floor plan.
What to see in Todi Cathedral
On the inside, under the rose window, there is a famous fresco depicting the “Last Judgment”, painted in 1596 by Ferraù di Faenza.
The door was made by Carlo Lorenti in 1639, although for the four upper panels he used the original door already made in 1513 by Maestro Antonio.
The Gothic arcade on the south side was added in the 14th century. Below the arcade are the fresco “Mary Magdalene between Two Angels” and a fragment of the “Trinity,” painted in 1525 by Lo Spagna.
Lo Spagna was also responsible for the paintings on the walls of the rectory.
The antique baptismal font that stands in the church dates from the 14th century.
The Gothic columns near the main altar date from the 14th century.
The Cappella Cesi was built in 1605. It houses the tombs of Angelo and Giovanni Cesi with portraits painted by Annibale Caracci.
At the end of the northern aisle, one can descend the stairs to the small Museo Lapidario, which is located in a number of cells that were used as tombs until the 19th century. Here, among other things, is a plaster version of the famous statue of Mars now on display in the Vatican Museums.
A bit lower still, one arrives at the crypt, where three rather damaged sculpture groups (made by Giovanni Pisano’s assistants) can be seen.