The Royal Manege (Cavallerizza Reale) and what remains of the Accademia Reale, together with the arm of the Royal Palace in Via XX Settembre, the Armeria and the Royal Library, form the former military and bureaucratic center of Turin.
Cavallerizza Reale Turin
Address: Via Verdi 9 – Torino. Phone: +39 . Opening times: . Entrance fee: .
History and description
The Cavallerizza Reale was designed in 1673 by Amedeo di Castellamonte and later perfected by architects such as Filippo Juvarra, Benedetto Alfieri, Ernesto Melano and Carlo Mosca.
The Accademia was inaugurated in 1680 for the purpose of educating young Italian (and foreign) nobles and court officials. Much of it was damaged in 1943 and then completely destroyed to make way for the Teatro Regio.
From its core building, 4 wings go out which are used as stables. In the courtyard are columns and capitals that originally adorned the porticos of the Accademia.
The manège was constructed between 1739 and 1740 by Alfieri, while the stables were designed by Mosca and Melano only in the 19th century.
The Cavallerizza was bombed, and severely damaged, in 1943.