Chiusi is a small town in the south-eastern part of the province of Siena. The city has around 8,000 inhabitants. Its main attractions are the Cathedral and the Archaeological Museum.
Chiusi travel guide
Tourist office: Via Porsenna, 79 – Chiusi (Phone: +39 0578 227667). The office is open from 09:00 till 13:00 and from 15:00 till 17:30.
A brief history of Chiusi
Chiusi started its existence as an Etruscan city called Clusium. It was under the reign of King Lars Porsena (Porsenna) that this city reached its greatest splendor. He was known for his war against Rome, probably around 508 BC.
In the 3rd century BC, under the Romans, Chiusi became a military station.
In the early Middle Ages, first the Ostrogoths (under Totila) and later the Lombards conquered the town.
Cosimo did, however, manage to drain the Val di Chiana, which up to the 16th century had been a swampy, malaria-infested area. This led to a new period of affluence for Chiusi.
In 1556, it became part of the Medici state.
What to see
Main sights are the Cathedral, the oldest form of which dates back to the 5th century, the Catacombs of Santa Mustiola, those of Santa Catarina and the Archaeological Museum.
In the northern part of its territory, there are several Etruscan tombs, of which the Tomba della Scimmia and the Tombe della Pellegrina are the most famous ones.