The Madonna del Latte Church is located in the suburb of the same name in Lenola. It was built on the site where a pagan temple founded by Greek refugees is supposed to have been
Church of the Madonna del Latte Lenola
The church is located in a suburb also called Madonna del Latte, about 2 kilometers from the historical center of Lenola.
History and description
According to legend, the Madonna del Latte Church was constructed on the ruins of a pagan temple dedicated to the God Apollo. This temple was supposedly founded by refugees from Greek Amicle.
The temple had been destroyed in the year 587 by the Bishop of Fondi, Andrea, and replaced by a niche containing a frescoed image of the Madonna.
The niche was in turn replaced by a church called the Madonna del Latte (“Madonna of Milk”) because it featured an effigy of a breastfeeding Madonna.
According to tradition, women who had difficulty producing breast milk used to visit this church to ask the Virgin for help. With a large stone on their heads, as a sign of humility, they then scratched the fresco with their nails.
Since the early days of its foundation, the church had always been run by hermits. The last one of these hermits died in 1944.