The Church of San Giacomo is one several religious buildings in Ibla, the historical center of Ragusa. The highlight of this church is a triptych by Pietro Novelli, depicing the “Madonna with the Saints Agata and Lucia”. Unfortunately, the church was never completely repaired after the 1693 earthquake.
Church of San Giacomo Ragusa
Address: Via del Portale, 17 – 97100. (Note that prices and times may be subject to change.)
History and description
The Church of San Giacomo was constructed in the 14th century, but needed to be completely rebuilt after the earthquake of 1693.
It is one of several churches inside the city’s main park, the Giardino Ibleo.
The facade consists of three levels . The entrance is flanked by two Corinthian columns on each side, which support a Tympanum. There is also a rather wide pillar just short of each end of the facade.
The third level is delineated by a cornice and a balustrade. The belfry takes up central position. Two statues (San Giacomo on the left, San Giovanni Evangelista on the right) are placed directly above the two pillars.
The church consists of a single nave.
What to see
The wooden ceiling is frescoed with depictions of the four Evangelists in the corners and celestial figures in the middle.