The San Pancrazio Church, which already existed in the 11th century, is one of the oldest churches in Ferentino in the province of Frosinone.
Church of San Pancrazio Ferentino
Address: Piazza Antonio Gramsci – Ferentino. Ticket price: Free.
History and description
The San Pancrazio Church already existed in the 11th century (the original project dates back to 1066) and at that time belonged to the Montecassino Monastery.
Although the facade is the result of a renovation, the staircase leading to it is the original one.
The name of the church is engraved on the bronze doors, San Pancratius in Ferentinu.
Only one of the three naves the church originally consisted of remains. One of the side naves was destroyed in 1795 because it was on the verge of collapse. The other one is now part of the Palazzo Ruggeri-Bossi.
What to see
The main attractions of the church are the marble altar and the capitals embedded in the walls.
At the very top of the facade you can see the ancient coat of arms of Ferentino.
Around the church are a number of historic buildings, including Palazzo Bellà, Palazzo Gizzi, Palazzo Mecci, Palazzo Pagelli, Palazzo De Andreis, Palazzo Borgia, Palazzo Ruggeri-Bossi and Palazzo Lolli-Miccinelli.