Located on the hill of the same name outside the center of Ascoli Piceno, the Complesso dell’Annunziata consists of a church and (what used to be) a convent.
Church of Santissima Annunziata Ascoli Piceno
Address: Viale delle Rimembranze – Ascoli Piceno. Phone: +39 0376 298334 (this is the number of the tourist office).
History and description
In the mid-13th century, Augustinian nuns had the first Santissima Annunziata Church and the Chiostro Minore (“Smaller Cloister”) built here.
In the second half of the 15th century, it came into the hands of the Frati Minori Osservanti, who built the current version of the church, together with the rest of the complex. They ran it until the Order, after the unification of Italy, was dissolved.
From 1881 to 1926, the complex was the seat of an agricultural school, after which it was turned into an orphanage. After a restoration, it has been used as the Facoltà di Architettura dell’Università di Camerino since 1991.
The Church was built between 1485 and 1554 by Domenico di Antonio and Giorgio di Baldassarre.
There used to be other important religious buildings on this hill.
What to see
The interior was frescoed by Don Tommaso Nardini in the late 17th century.
The oratory located to the right of the façade was built in 1486 and is dedicated to Giacomo della Marca.
There are two cloisters inside the convent. The chiostro minore dates from the 14th century and is characterised by a portico with octagonal pillars and a loggia. The central well dates fromfrom the 15th century.
The chiostro maggiore dates from the 15th century.
The hill Colle dell’Annunziata itself is supported on three sides by walls. These were erected in the time of Augustus and are characterized by niches called grotte. These rather wide niches have vaults that turn into sloping walls. The original purpose of these rooms is not known. It is evident, however, that foodstuffs were stored there during the Middle Ages.