The Cittadella is an 18th century fortress on the left bank of the river Tanaro in Alessandria. It is from the walls of this fortress that the Italian tricolor flew for the first time.
Address: Via Pavia, 2 – Alessandria. Phone: + 39 366 7428928. Opening times: From 09:00 till 19:00. Ticket price: Free.
History and description
The Cittadella was built in the 18th century and is one of the best preserved fortresses in Italy. The architect was Ignazio Bertola. Its construction was commissioned by the Savoy family. Construction began in 1728 and was completed in the second half of the same century.
In order to carry out the construction work, an entire neighborhood, Borgoglio, had to be torn down.
The shape of the fortress is that of a six-pointed star.
It was from this fortress that Colonel Ansaldi raised the Italian flag for the first time in 1821, a first step towards Italian unity.
Until 2007, a regiment was stationed in the Cittadella, but from that year on, the fortress has no longer beenused for military purposes.