The Claudio Faina Museum is housed in the Palazzo Faina in Orvieto. Like the Archaeological Museum, it focuses mainly on the city’s Etruscan past. Mario and Eugenio Faina started the collection in 1864 and continued to expand it through excavations and objects purchased at antique markets. In 1954, Claudio Faina donated his possessions, including the collection, to the city.
Claudio Faina Museum Orvieto
Address, opening hours and admission
Address: Piazza del Duomo, 29 – Orvieto. Phone: +39 0763 341511. Opening hours: From April to September from 09.30 to 18.00. From October to March from 10 a.m. to 5 p.m. Closed: From November to February on Mondays. Entrance fee: 4,50 Euro (discount: 3 Euro). The Carta Orvieto Unica is valid.
History and description
This municipal museum mainly displays objects found in the Etruscan sites near the city itself. On display are ossuaries from both the Villanovan and Etruscan periods, as well as vases, ceramics, figurines, masks, candlesticks and various other utensils.
A vase with a depiction of a horse-head excavated in the Cannicella Necropolis is one of the highlights. The so-called “Venus of Cannicella,” a Greek statue from about 530 B.C., is another.
From the Crocifisso del Tufo Necropolis, a border post shaped like the warrior’s head, can be seen.
The decoration of the pediment of the Tempio di Belvedere is also interesting.