The Corso Cavour is the main street of Orvieto. The street runs in an east-west direction through the centre of the city. Some of Orvieto’s most famous attractions are located on or near Corso Cavour. The street is wedged between the Piazza della Repubblica on the west and the Rocca Albernoz on the east.
Tourist attractions Corso Cavour Orvieto
Santo Stefano Church
The Santo Stefano Church is located on the corner of the Corso Cavour and the Via Santo Stefano. The church was built towards the end of the 13th century, which is reflected in the austere facade and the fact that the apse is on the east side. The biggest attraction is a 14th century fresco, which depicts the “Madonna with Child and Angels”.
About halfway through the Corso Cavour is a small square, which is named after the Sant’Angelo Church located there. This church was built in 1838 on one of the oldest basilicas in the city, which belonged to Benedictine monks in the 6th century. Even further back in the past, a temple dedicated to the Goddess Diana was located in this spot. The mortal remains of the saints Severo and Martiro are kept inside the church.
Palazzo dei Sette en Torre del Moro
The Palazzo dei Sette is located where the Corso Cavour crosses the Via del Duomo. The most striking part of this palace is the Torre del Moro. One can climb this tower for a magnificent view of the city and surrounding countryside.
The Palazzo Gualterio was built in the 16th century. It is located directly opposite the Torre del Moro and is characterised by a beautiful, richly decorated portal. It belonged to a man nicknamed “the Moor”, for whom the tower was named.
Piazza della Repubblica
The Piazza della Repubblica is located at the western end of Corso Cavour. Along this square are some of the most beautiful and important buildings in the city, such as the Palazzo Comunale, the Palazzo Ottaviani and the Sant’Andrea Church.