The Corso Giacomo Matteotti is a 14th century street road that leads in a straight line from Anghiari to Sansepolcro. On June 29, 1440, the Battle of Anghiari took place here, an event that is still celebrated every year through the Palio della Vittoria.
Corso Giacomo Matteotti Anghiari
History and description
The Corso Giacomo Matteotti is a straight road constructed in 1321 that begins in the center of Anghiari and ends seven kilometers further on in Sansepolcro.
Principal to the construction of this road was Pier Saccone Tarlati.
The original name of this street was Ruga di San Martino. The starting point in Anghiari is the Chiesa della Croce. From the portico of the church one has a beautiful view of the Ruga, which has a 13% gradient.
Locals also call the street la Croce, because it is linked to the route St. Francis followed in the valley.
Halfway down the street is the Piano della Battaglia. It is here that in 1440 a battle took place between the troops of Milan and those of Florence. Leonardo Da Vinci made a famous painting of this battle.
Palio della Vittoria
Since 1441, the Palio della Vittoria has taken place in Anghiari every 29th of June. The date refers to the victory of the Florentine troops and their allies over the Milanese of Filippo Maria Visconti. The Palio is covered on foot and begins at the Maestà di Santa Maria alla Vittorio, where the battle took place. It ends at the current Piazza Baldaccio Bruni. Originally held simultaneously in Anghiari and Florence, the Palio is now only held in Anghiari itself.