The San Giovanni Baptistry of Cremona is located right next to Santa Maria Assunta Cathedral. It was originally built in the 12th century. Highlights include the baptismal font and the impressive portal with the two lion statues.
Address: Piazza del Comune – 26100 Cremona (tel. +39 0372 27386 or 0372 495029). Opening hours: Monday to Saturday from 10.30 to 12.00 and 15.30 to 17.30; Sundays and public holidays from 12.00 to 12.30 and 15.30 to 17.00. Entrance fee: A combi ticket with the Torrazzo costs €6.
History and description
Cremona’s octagonal brick Battistero di San Giovanni is 34 metres high. Construction of the monument began in 1167.
The bronze statue close to the vault depicting St. Gabriel was placed there in 1370.
The current appearance of the Baptistery dates from the Renaissance period. The building was enlarged and the floor restored. Some walls were covered with marble slabs and the vault was also modified.
The building originally had three portals, but two of these were bricked up in 1592. The remaining portal is on the north side and faces the Piazza del Comune. It is characterized by a protiro with two columns resting on lion statues.
What to see
The marble covering of the façade refers to that of the Duomo itself. Immediately below the roof is a gallery. Each wall is flanked by two pillars.
On the side, there are inscriptions with the monument’s measurements recorded in 1388.
The baptismal font in the center of the Baptistery is made of pink marble, from Verona. Its maker was Lorenzo Trotti. Next to it is an octagonal water container. The gilded wooden statue depicts a “Resurrected Christ”.
The altar at the entrance is decorated with a crucifix from the 14th century. Near the left altar is an “Our Lady of Sorrows” and the altar on the right is dedicated to St. Blasius.
Bertesi was responsible for the two statues of San Filippo Neri and John the Baptist.