The Santa Croce e San Bonaventura alla Pilotta Church in Rome is also called the Santa Croce e San Bonaventura dei Lucchesi Church. The church is located in the Trevi district and is only open one hour a day.
Santa Croce e San Bonaventura alla Pilotta Church Rome
Address, hours, tickets
The address of the Chiesa di Santa Croce e San Bonaventura alla Pilotta is Via dei Lucchesi, 3 – Rome (tel. +39 06 6792017). Opening hours: From noon to 1 p.m. . Closed: Saturday and Sunday. Entrance fee: Free of charge. If You wish to visit the church at another time please make an appointment by phone.
History and description
The church was built on the ruins of the 11th century San Nicola de Portiis Church. In 1631, this church, which was rund by the Frati Minori Cappuccini (“Capuchin Friars Minor”), was given to the Lucchesi.
In 1695, after it had also been dedicated to the Santa Croce, Mattia De Rossi constructed the present version of the church.
Between 1859 and 1863, the church was restored under Virginio Vespignani.
The facade is extremely austere. On either side of the central part are two lower constructions.
The interior consists of a single nave with three chapels on either side. The ceiling paintings date from the 17th century.