The Domus Nova is a building in the Piazza dei Signori in Verona. It was built in the 12th century and was the seat of the Podestà and of the Consigli Minori, before the Venetian judges moved in in the 15th century. In 1511 it partially collapsed and was rebuilt only a century later.
Domus Nova Verona
Address, opening hours and entrance fee
Address: Piazza dei Signori – Verona. Opening Hours and Admission: The building is not accessible to tourists.
The Domus Nova was built in the 13th century and was originally both the residence and the office of the Podestà, then the seat of the People’s Council. In the 15th century the judges of the Republic of Venice came to live there when they were in power. Since then, the building has also been called Casa dei Giudici or Palazzo dei Giudici (“House/Palace of the Judges”).
On June 10, 1511, probably as a result of an earthquake that had occurred 2 months earlier, the Domus Nova almost completely collapsed.
In 1554, the idea of selling the lower part of the palace to private individuals and using the proceeds to create housing for the judges in the Palazzo della Podestà was born. In the end they did not go through with this.
The facade must have undergone some repair work, as it is known that a marble clock was placed on it in 1619. It collapsed in 1650. (The clock had been removed in time).
In the 2nd half of the 17th century, the Domus Nova side of the square was completely renovated, and between 1660 and 1663 a new façade with three arches was erected, with the middle one replacing a corridor between the two squares. There was also a bust of the podestà Caterino Cornelio, who had the facade installed.
In 1731, the then owners, the Muselli brothers, had the house built.
Nowadays, the building having been restored, there is a restaurant in the palace.