Eremo di Camaldoli Monte Porzio Catone

The Eremo di Camaldoli is located between Frascati and Monte Porzio Catone on the slope of the Tuscolo, the mountain on which the original nucleus of Frascati was constructed. Completed in the 17th century, the complex often serves as a place of rest for important people in the Camaldolean Order. Officially the hermitage is located on the territory of the city of Monte Porzio Catone).

Eremo di Camaldoli Monte Porzio Catone

Useful Information

The address of the Eremo di Camaldoli is Via Tuscolo, 27 (Frazione Camaldoli) – 00044 Monte Porzio Catone (Phone: +39 06 9044006). The distance from the center of Frascati is 4 kilometers. This distance includes a rather steep uphill stretch. Opening hours: From 09.00 till 12.00 and from 15.00 till 17.00.

History and Description

Eremo di Camaldoli Frascati
Eremo di Camaldoli

The Eremo di Camaldoli was built on the site of the ancient necropolis of the city. It was one of the monks himself, Father Alessandro Secchi, who initiated its construction. The Church of San Romualdo, dedicated to the founder of the order, was designed by the architect Tarquini.

The church was completed in 1611, but in the second half of the 18th century a reconstruction ordered by Cardinal Enrico Benedetto Count of York and carried out in neo-classical style took place.

Between the years 1606 and 1607, Pope Paul V and the Apostolic Chamber donated the land to the Benedictine Order of the Camaldolese Order. The order built the “Hermitage of Camaldoli” there, consisting of a church and monastery.

Over the years the Hermitage gradually gained prominence and became a place of rest for important figures of the Roman Curia.

Today the complex consists of the monastery, a sick room, the stable and the guest house, plus the presbytery together with the cells where the monks can isolate themselves in complete silence according to the strict rules of the order.

The current entrance to the church is located at the top of a double staircase.

The church interior is characterized by a single nave, with two chapels on either side.

What to see

Near the main altar in the apse you can admire the painting “Vision of San Bartolomeo” (Anteveduto Grammatica, 1620).

The first chapel on the left is decorated with a “Rest during the Flight into Egypt” (Carlo Saraceni, 1606).

Eremo di Camaldoli, Monte Porzio Catone

Follow by Email
WhatsApp