The Sant’Eufemia Church is located in the courtyard of the Palazzo Arcivescovile in the center of Spoleto. The biggest attraction of this church is the sumpteously decorated high altar. The church can only be entered through the Museo Diocesano.
Sant’Eufemia Church Spoleto
Address, opening hours and admission
Address: Chiesa di Sant’Eufemia – Via A. Saffi, 13 – 06049 Spoleto (tel. +39 0743231022). Opening hours: Hours of the Museo Diocesano.
The Church of Sant’Eufemia already existed in the 10th century. In the 12th century it was reconstructed and incorporated in the Palazzo Arcivescovile.
Toward the middle of the 15th century, when the diocese was run by the Patriarch of Alexandria, the church temporarily changed its name to Santa Lucia.
It was restored between 1907 and 1953.
The sober facade has a sloping roof, the central part of which sticks about above the sides. The floorplan of the interior is basilical, with three naves separated by columns. The naves end in apses.
Highlights Sant’Eufemia Church
The Chiesa di Sant’Eufemia is the only church in Umbria with a matroneum, a high interior gallery from which women were allowed to attend mass.
The high altar used to adorn the Cathedral. Its antependium is decorated with bas-reliefs and cosmatesque designs.
Between the 2nd and 3rd bay on the right there is an 8th century pillar, decorated with sculpted plant motives.
The 2nd column on the right and the vault of the prespytery are decorated with 15th century frescoes.