Ex-Mattattoio Testaccio Rome
History and description
The slaughterhouse was built between 1888 and 1891 by Gioacchino Ersoch. The buildings on its grounds are typical for the rational architectural building style of the end of the 19th century.
The total area of the ex-Mattatoio covers around 105,000 square meters. 43,000 of these are covered.
There is a vegetarian restaurant on the premises and a small supermarket selling only biological food, all under the nomer Città dell’altra economia.
The main reason for visiting the ex-Mattattoio is the second seat of the MACRO Museum for contemporary art, called La Pelanda.