The Fabbriche Nuove is a rather wide building close to the Rialto Bridge on the Grand Canal in Venice. This 16th century building used to house the civil servants who had to manage the market. Today it is the seat of the offices of the court.
Fabbriche Nuove Venice
History and description
The Fabbriche Nuove was built between 1552 and 1555 by the famous architect Jacopo Sansovino. At that time it was used by the magistrates in charge of the Rialto market. This market is still being held on the Rialto side of the building.
In the past, currency and valuable goods were also traded, but nowadays it is only a fruit, vegetable and general food market.
It is not a spectacular building, but it smoothly follows the bend in the canal. Underneath the relatively high portico of the building there used to be shops and warehouses. In those days, as a less pleasant consequence of the presence of the market, the building suffered from rat infestations.