Fiuggi travel guide

Fiuggi is a small hill-town south of Rome. It really exists of two parts, Fiuggi Città, which is the historical center on top of the hill in the Monti Ernici, and Fiuggi Fonte, where the thermal springs are located.

Fiuggi travel guide



Until 1911 Fiuggi was called Anticoli (di Campagna).

Tourist attractions Fiuggi

  • Palazzo Falconi: 18th Century palazzo in the historical center of Fiuggi. Around the year 1800 Napoleon was said to come and visit the town and somebody painted a room in the palace in his honour. Unfortunately the rumour proved false.
  • Palazzo della Fonte: Early 20th century building on a hill formerly one of Europe’s best known hotels.
  • Santa Chiara Church: Formerly known as San Domenico di Cocullo.
  • Church of San Pietro Apostolo: 17th century church, built at the site of the former Chiesa di Santa Lucia.
  • Church of San Biagio: Dedicated to the patron saint of the city. Although the exact date of its construction is not known, this is the oldest church in Fiuggi. Main sights are the 13th century “Madonna and Child” fresco and the font, which is made of the capitol that adorned a Roman column.
  • Santo Stefano Promartire Church: Built at the site of a former temple dedicated to Apollo. This church used to also be known as the Chiesa dei Pastori, because, until a couple of decades ago the shepherds and farmers of the area used to go there every morning to celebrate mass.

Tourist Attractions outside Fiuggi

  • Cappuccini Chapel: Located 2,5 km outside of the city, along a street leading to the Altipiani di Arcinazzo, this was the first Cappuccini convent in the area.
  • Santuario Madonna delle Stelle: Small church near the Lago di Caterno. It was built in 1695, but destroyed in a flood and rebuilt in 1774.
  • Lago di Caterno: The area around this lake is a protected wild-life area. The lake itself is not suitable for swimming, however.

Festa delle Stuzze

Every year, on February 2nd (Candlemas) the traditional Festa dell Stuzze is held in Fiuggi. The tradition harks back to the year 1298, a time when Fiuggi was still called Anticoli di Campagna. The city was about to be attacked and burnt by the Cajetani army when Saint Biagio, patron saint of the city, suddenly made flames appear. The Cajetani, thinking that somebody else had already done their job for them, left and Fiuggi was saved. Every year the event is celebrated by the various quarters who bring dry wood in carts to the town center, where then a huge bonfire is created.

Fiuggi, province of Frosinone

View Larger Map

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *