The Fortezza Pia is situated at the top of Colle dell’Annunziata, a 600-meter-high hill in the center of Ascoli Piceno.
Fortezza Pia Ascoli Piceno
Address: .Viale della Fortezza Pia. Because of its precarious condition, it is not allowed to visit the monument at the moment.
History and description
The Fortezza Pia is built on the site of an earlier castle, which had been constructed by the Piceni people and called Cassero.
In those days, the Fortress was directly connected to the Porta Romana. This was done through a corridor inside the double defensive wall of the city.
After being destroyed in 578 by the Lombards, the castle was rebuilt between 1185 and 1195 by the then newly founded community of Ascoli Piceno.
A further restoration took place in 1349, under Galeotto Malatesta. From its completion, together with the Forte Malatesta, it was the main defense of the city.
By the 16th century, the Cassero had again fallen into disrepair. Despite opposition from the inhabitants of Ascoli, Pope Pius IV had the castle restored, after which it also received its current name.
In 1564 the construction, which was more or less led by the Pope’s military engineer Francesco Laparelli, was completed.
In 1799 the fortress was dismantled by Napoleon’s troops and gradually fell into disrepair. Today, only the walls on the north and east sides remain partially standing, along with the monumental entrance with an inscription dedicated to Pope Pius.