The Fountain of Neptune (Fontana di Nettuno) is the fountain on the northern end of Piazza Navona in Rome and is not to be confused with the fountain of the same name in the Piazza del Popolo.
Fountain of Neptune Rome (Piazza Navona)
History and description
The Fountain of Neptune was designed in 1873 by Antonio della Bitta who had had to win a competition in order to be assigned the task. The reason it was built was that another fountain was needed to create a symmetry with the Fountain of the Moor on the other side of the rectangular square.
Gregorio Zappalà was responsible for the sculpture group consisting of sea-horses, putti (Cupids), dolphins and mermaids.
The fountain was finished in 1878.
The central, and most famous, fountain in Piazza Navona is called the Fountain of the Four Rivers.