The early 17th century fountain in the Piazza Sant’Andrea della Valle is one of Rome‘s most centrally located fountains, in front of the Chiesa di Santa Maria in Trasportina, just off the Corso Vittorio Emanuele and near the Pantheon and Piazza Navona.
Piazza Sant’Andrea della Valle Fountain Rome
The fountain in the Piazza Sant’Andrea della Valle was designed (in 1614) by Carlo Maderno, commissioned by Pope Paolo V Borghese. Its original position was in the Piazza Scossacavalli in the rione Borgo near the Vatican City.
The fountain consists of a circular basin (decorated with the dragons and eagles that are the symbols of the Borghese family) on top of a square one. The original marble was unfortunately destroyed and the lower basin is now made of cement.