The Galleria Doria Pamphilj is a private museum in the Via del Corso in Rome. It has its seat in the building of the same name, which was constructed between the middle of the 15th and the beginning of the 18th century. The Palazzo Pamphilj is one of only few historical buildings in Rome still in the hands of one of the original owners.
Galleria Doria Pamphilj Rome
Address: Via del Corso, 305 – Rome (tel. +39 06 6797323). Opening hours: 09.00 till 18.00 (Friday till Sunday from 09.00 till 19.00). Closed: January 1, Easter, December 25. Admission: 16 Euro (children below the age of 12: Free. (Tariffs and times may be subject to change.)
A note for visitors in wheelchairs or with children in strollers: There is a lift, but it is extremely small. This cannot be changed since the Palazzo Doria Pamphilj is a historical building and by law no internal modifications can be made to it.
History and description
The Galleria Doria Pamphilj has existed since 1651 and was created by Giambattista Pamphilj (aka Pope Innocent X).
It is divided into 4 branches and the paintings are all positioned according to an extremely detailed 18th century document. Symmetry was very important in this positioning and so were the type and/or style of the various paintings.
Painters whose works can be seen in the Galleria Pamphilj include Raphael, Titian, Domenichino, Caravaggio, Annibale and Ludovico Carracci, Guercino, Velazquez and Brueghel the Elder.
The museum also displays antique sculptures, together with a number of more recent works created by 17th century artists such as Gian Lorenzo Bernini and Alessandro Algardi.
The audio-guide is read, both in Italian and English, by one of the members of the Doria-Pamphilj family himself. He will tell you, amongst other tidbits, that the sala di ballo is still an excellent ballroom.
One of the highlights is the “Portrait of Pope Innocent X”, painted in 1650 by Velazquez. The Pope himself was a member of the Pamphilj family. The story goes that, although he admired its quality, the Pope found the portrait too unflatteringly life-like. It is still considered to be one of the best portraits ever painted.
Palazzo Doria Pamphilj
What is now known as the Palazzo Doria Pamphij was constructed in the mid-15th century. It initially was the property of, first Cardinal Nicolò Acciapacci, and then Cardinal Fazio Santorio. Pope Julius II forced the latter to give it to the Della Rovere family. Julius, who was nicknamed the “Warrior Pope”, happened to be a Della Rovere himself. In 1601 the Aldobrandini took over. In 1647, Olimpia Aldobrandini married Camillo Pamphilj and gave him the palazzo as a wedding gift.
Camillo ordered Antonio Del Grande to build the facades on the Via Lata (now Via del Corso) and the Via della Gatta.
Between 1730 and 1750 several modifications took place. Gabriele Valvassori redesigned the facade on the Via del Corso, while Paolo Ameli added the wing on the Via del Plebiscito and the monumental staircase. Especially the windows on the Via del Corso are worth an extra look.
Toward the end of the 19th century Andrea Busiri Vici reconstructed the facades on the Via della Gatta and the Vicolo Doria.
The courtyard, with its two rows of arches, is part of the early nucleus of the building.