The Chiesa di Gesù e Maria (Jesus and Mary Church) is located on the Via del Corso shopping street in Rome. Although the exterior is very sober in character, the interior is richly decorated. The official name of the church is Chiesa dei Santissimi Nomi di Gesù e Maria in Via Lata.
Gesù e Maria Church Rome
The address of the Chiesa di Gesù e Maria is Via del Corso, 45 – 00186 Rome. Tel: +39 063613717. Bus: 5, 60, 63, 80, 81, 83, 117, 160, 160F, 170, 628, 810, H, N4. Opening hours: 09:00 to 12:30 and 15:30 to 19:30. Admission is free. (Note that prices and times may be subject to change.)
History and description
The church is located on the exact spot where the 16th century Villa Orsini used to be. The villa was purchased in 1625 by the “Barefoot Augustinians”, who began the construction of the church and its convent 8 years later. The original project, later modified by Carlo Rainaldi, was by Carlo Maderno.
Between 1678 and 1690, the Chiesa di Gesù e Maria was made into a kind of family church by Cardinal Giorgio Bolognetti. As a result, several members of his family are buried there. The official name of the church is Chiesa dei Santi Nomi di Gesù e Maria.
As befits a church for the “Barefoot Augustinians”, Rainaldi’s facade is very austere. However, this impression is belied once one is inside, as the interior displays a typical Baroque exuberance.
What to see
The ceiling was painted in 1685 by Giacinto Brandi and his pupils. The title of the work is “The Glorification of the Virgin with the Four Evangelists.”
On the cornice of the vault are statues representing the prophets and other Old Testament figures.
The main altar in the presbytery was designed by Carlo Rainaldi.
The statues next to the altar (of John the Baptist, and others) were the work of Giuseppe Mazzuoli.
Giovanni Lanfranco painted the frescoes decorating the altar and the vault of the sacristy.
Valadier remodeled the second chapel on the left in 1824. The canvas in this chapel was painted by Brandi and has the theme “Jesus Crowning Mary.”
The tomb of Pietro and Francesco Bolognetti was made by Francesco Aprile.
The tomb of Ercole and Luigi Bolognetti was made by Michel Maille.
The tomb of Mario and Giorgio Bolognetti was made by Francesco Cavallini in 1681.
Domenico Guidi made the tomb for Camillo del Corno.
Ercole Ferrata crafted the monument to Giulio del Corno.