The Gesù e Maria in Via Lata Church is located in the Via del Corso shopping street in Rome. Although the exterior is very simple in character, the interior is richly decorated. The official name of the church is Chiesa dei Santissimi Nomi di Gesù e Maria in Via Lata.
Gesù e Maria in Via Lata Church Rome
Address, opening times, admission
The address of the Chiesa di Gesù e Maria is Via del Corso, 45 – 00186 Rome. Tel: +39 063613717. Bus: 5, 60, 63, 80, 81, 83, 117, 160, 160F, 170, 628, 810, H, N4. Opening hours: 09:00 to 12:30 and 15:30 to 19:30. Admission is free.
History and description
The church is located on the exact spot where the 16th century Villa Orsini used to be. The villa was purchased in 1625 by the congregation of the “Barefoot Augustinians” who began the construction of the church and its convent 8 years later. The original project was by Carlo Maderno, but it was later modified by Carlo Rainaldi.
Between 1678 and 1690, the Chiesa di Gesù e Maria was made into a kind of family church by Cardinal Giorgio Bolognetti. As a result, several members of his family are buried there.
What to see
As befits a church run by a congregation calling itself the “Barefoot Augustinians,” Rainaldi‘s facade is very austere. However, this impression is negated once one is inside, as the interior displays typical Baroque exuberance.
The ceiling was painted in 1685 by Giacinto Brandi and his pupils. The title of the work is “The Glorification of the Virgin with the Four Evangelists.”
On the cornice of the vault are statues representing the prophets and other Old Testament figures.
The main altar in the presbiterium was designed by Carlo Rainaldi.
The statues next to the altar (of John the Baptist and others) were made by Giuseppe Mazzuoli.
Giovanni Lanfranco painted the frescoes decorating the altar and the vault of the sacristy.
Valadier renovated the second chapel on the left in 1824. The canvas in this chapel was painted by Brandi and has the theme “Jesus Crowning Mary.”
The tomb of Pietro and Francesco Bolognetti was the work of Francesco Aprile.
The tomb of Ercole and Luigi Bolognetti was made by Michel Maille.
The tomb of Mario and Giorgio Bolognetti was made by Francesco Cavallini in 1681.
Domenico Guidi made the tomb for Camillo del Corno.
Ercole Ferrata crafted the monument to Giulio del Corno.